What Is Social Proof And The Herding Instinct?

What is social proof and why is it so important if you want to sell products online or offline?

Put simply social proof is the idea that everyone else is buying this product so I should by it too.

Only 5% of the population are leaders and the other 95% are followers.

We're herding animals. It's a survival instinct.

Being part of a "herd" or group of humans helped to protect us from wild animals and other tribes.

So we feel the safest when we feel like we belong to a herd.

In fact as humans that sense of "belonging" is one of our primary psychological needs.

Buying products or services creates anxiety and fear in us and when we're fearful we subconsciously seek protection and safety.

So our herding instinct kicks in.

And if we see that a whole pile of other people have also bought and are buying this product or service that helps us feel a whole lot safer in our purchase because we know we'll "belong" to a large group of buyers.

That's why it's so important to use testimonials in your sales copy.

It's also why referral marketing is so powerful.

You literally have someone from your buying herd inviting another person to come to a place where they can feel a sense of belonging.

Part 2 of this article is
The Shocking Power Of Social Proof On Video

Also read:
Dan Kennedy Video On Testimonials
Testimonials In Sales Copy: How Do You Place Them For Maximum Sales?

Kindest regards,
Andrew Cavanagh

More FREE High Value Online Copywriting Secrets Than Any Other Site On Earth. Andrew Cavanagh's Online Copywriting Blog

Products From Andrew Cavanagh:

Offers Unleashed: How Many Of These 17
Profit Multiplying Offers Is Your Website Missing?

Make $1,500 Today: This 48 Page Report Reveals
The Simple Step By Step System For Selling Your Online
Marketing Skills To Businesses Right In Your City

$500 In 24 Hours Without A Website: From Offline Store Front
To Online Gold. Charge Local Businesses To Explode Their Sales From Walk Past Traffic And Turn That Traffic Into Long Term Online Income (Perfect For Copywriters)

Online Gold For The Offline Business: The Definitive
eBook On How To Use Online Marketing To Power Up
The Profits In Any Brick And Mortar Business

Make My Website Sell: FREE 11 Minute Video
Insider Secrets Of Web Design That Sells

$7 Secrets: How I Made Over $3,000 In Just 7 Days
By Selling A 30 Page Report For $7

Make Money Copywriting: 34 Insider Secrets To Making Money
As A Copywriter And How To Land Your First Copywriting Client